Gluten Free Carrot Cake Recipe
Posted , in Bakes
A carrot cake always goes down a treat and makes a great afternoon snack with a cup of tea or a glass of milk.
For the cake:
- 250g carrots, grated
- 200g gluten free self raising flour
- 1 ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 140g butter, softened (remove it from the fridge in advance to allow it to soften)
- 210g caster sugar
- 100g raisins
- 2 large free range eggs, lightly beaten
For the icing:
- 80g butter, softened
- 180g icing sugar
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 50g chopped nuts (optional)
* This recipe is vegetarian
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a cake tin with baking parchment and grease it.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar until it becomes creamy, then add in the grated carrot and mix well. Stir through the raisins then a little bit at a time, pour the beaten eggs in, whilst continuing to mix.
3. Next, add in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix again.
4. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and pop on the middle shelf of the oven for an hour.
5. After an hour, insert a skewer into the centre of the cake to test whether it’s cooked. If it is, it will come out clean. You can now remove the cake from the tin and place onto a cooling rack.
6. Whilst the cake is cooling, get another bowl and beat together the butter, icing sugar and cinnamon. Keep beating until the mixture is creamy, then drizzle over the cooled cake.
7. Sprinkle the chopped nuts across the top and leave the icing to set then slice up and enjoy as an afternoon snack with a cup of tea or a glass of milk!