Gluten Free Chicken, Bacon and Mushroom Pie Recipe
Posted , in Dinner
There’s nothing more comforting on an evening than a lovely homemade puff pastry pie, gluten free puff pastry of course! This is one for the whole family to enjoy with mash potato or chips.
- 400g chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 white onion, diced
- 100g bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200ml gluten free chicken stock
- 200ml tin of gluten free mushroom soup
- Dash of Worcester sauce
- sprig of fresh thyme
- handful button mushrooms, washed and quartered
- 100g frozen garden peas
- 225g gluten free puff pastry ( you can use a gluten free shortcrust if you prefer)
- 1 egg yolk for glazing the top of the pie (optional)
- Splash of white wine (optional)
Top tips: Never cook with wine that you wouldn’t be happy drinking! Remove your pastry from the fridge a little before use. Having your pastry at room temperature when you come to use it will make it a lot easier to roll out.
Another tip, when making this pie is to cook it in a pan that can be used on the hob and in the oven to save on washing up!
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry off the onions, bacon and chicken until golden brown and cooked through.
- Optional step: Deglaze the pan with a splash of good white wine and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
- Throw in the mushrooms and brown off before adding in the tin of mushroom soup and the chicken stock. Give the mixture a stir
- Now you can add in your peas, as many as you like really!
- Bring to the boil and add a dash of Worcester sauce, salt, pepper and the thyme.
- Once the pan is boiling, reduce the heat and cover the pan with a lid and leaving to simmer until it reaches a thicker consistency, for about 20 minutes. If you prefer a thinner pie filling, then don’t reduce it for as long.
- Once the filling has thickened up, roll out the pastry and lay across the top of the filling in the pan or across the oven dish. Pierce a couple of small holes in the pastry then brush the egg yolk over the pastry.
- Pop in to the oven for 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Dish up and serve with your choice of mash potato or chips, with plenty of lovely greens.