Gluten Free Chickpeas in Spicy Tomato Sauce Recipe
Posted , in Snacks
Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein and are totally versatile, making them a great accompaniment to any meal. This spicy tomato and chickpea dish are great for lunch with rice, or alongside a curry. You can make a batch and freeze some ready for packed lunches through the week.
- 2 tins diced tomatoes
- 2 tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (dependant on your spice levels)
- Handful fresh coriander
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1/2 orange, juice and grated zest
- Salt, pepper
- Gluten free sour cream for serving (optional)
* This recipe is vegetarian
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
1. Heat a large pan with the oil and add the cumin, garlic and onions. Fry until softened and coated, then add in the tomatoes and chickpeas and bring to the boil.
2. Stir well and add in the paprika, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, water, the orange juice and grated zest then stir well again.
3. Place on the lid and reduce the heat to a simmer and leave for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the lid and taste for seasoning, (add more if needed) then add in the coriander. The mixture should be reducing down now, so that it resembles more of a curry like consistency.
5. After half an hour, the sauce will be thickened up so remove from the heat and serve with rice, or on gluten free flatbread, with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh coriander on top!