Gluten Free Coconut Cupcakes Recipe
Posted , in Bakes
A deliciously light gluten free sweet treat that the family will enjoy, either after a midweek tea or perfect for a party.
For the topping
- 200g butter, room temperature
- 380g sugar
- 45ml canned coconut milk
- 60g desiccated coconut (remind you of school?!)
For the cakes
- 65g vegetable oil
- 85g golden caster sugar
- 6 large free range eggs
- 70g gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (if not included in the gluten free flour mix)
- 100ml coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
* This recipe is vegetarian
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease a muffin tray with 10 paper cupcake liners. (You can buy a huge variety of these cupcake liners these days in most supermarkets). Grease the liners as well to avoid your cakes sticking.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla.
3. In another bowl, pass the flour through a sieve along with the xanthan gum. Tip the dry mixture into the wet and mix thoroughly until it forms a batter. Use a spatula to scrape all of the flour off the sides of the bowl.
4. Evenly pour the batter mixture into the cupcake liners, being careful not to fill them all the way to the top as the cakes will need room to rise!
5. Pop the tray in the centre of the oven for around 20 minutes or until the top is golden. You can test whether they are cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre, if it comes out clean, they are cooked.
6. Once cooked, remove the tray from the oven and carefully transfer them onto a cooling rack. Leave to cool.
7. Whilst the cupcakes are cooling, you can make your coconut buttercream frosting.
8. In a bowl, beat together the room temperature butter with the sugar, coconut milk and dessicated coconut. You need to mix it until it’s light and fluffy. If it’s too thick, you can add another tbsp of coconut milk.
9. If you have a piping bag, spoon the mixture into the bag and gently pipe across the top of your cooled cupcakes. If not, just spoon it on delicately then sprinkle a little more desiccated coconut on top for finishing!