Gluten Free Honey and Sesame Chicken Skewers Recipe
Posted , in Dinner
A great and healthy mid week dinner for the family is Freya’s Honey and Sesame chicken skewers, loaded with fresh vegetables. It’s one that you can prepare in the morning, or even better, the night before, allowing you to knock it out quickly when you get home!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MARINADE:
- 2 tablespoons of runny honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup of gluten free soy sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon of cayenne pepper – add more or less depending on how hot you want it!
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
FOR THE SKEWERS:
- ½ red onion, cut into chunks
- 2 peppers, mixed colours and cut into chunks
- 1 courgette
- Pinch salt and pepper
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in warm water for at least 30 minutes before putting them under the grill. Alternatively, use metal skewers. Meanwhile, pre-heat the grill and lay a piece of tin foil on a tray.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the marinade and mix together before coating the chicken and leaving in the fridge to marinade for a minimum of 2 hours. The longer the better!
- Chop your chosen vegetables into chunks large enough to sit on the skewers, and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Thread a piece of vegetable onto the top of the skewer, pushing it to the bottom to act as a stopper, then add chicken, then vegetables and alternate until the skewers are tightly packed.
- Drizzle with olive oil and place on the baking tray and under the grill for around 10 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
- Place the skewers on a large plate, allowing people to help themselves, but beware of the heat if you used metal skewers! It might be wise to deconstruct for smaller children.