Gluten Free Oozy Mushroom Risotto Recipe
Posted , in Dinner
Risotto is an Italian classic that requires time and some TLC whilst you’re cooking, but is incredibly oozy and delicious. Serve with a slice of gluten free garlic bread and shavings of parmesan.
- 360g Arborio risotto rice
- 50g dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in boiling water
- 1 gluten free vegetable stock cube
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g mushrooms, washed and sliced (you can use a variety of mushrooms, whichever you prefer)
- 100ml white wine (optional - this will help to deglaze and flavour the pan and the alcohol will evaporate)
- 25g butter
- 50g gluten free Parmesan cheese, freshly grated or shaved (make sure to grate yourself and pre-grated cheese is often coated in flour)
- Sprig thyme
* This recipe is vegetarian
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
1. Boil the kettle. Put the dried porcini mushrooms into a bowl and pour about 500ml boiling water in. Leave them to soak and re-hydrate (they will turn back into a mushroom!)
2. Heat the oil in a deep pan over a medium heat, and fry off the onion, garlic and sliced mixed mushrooms for a few minutes before adding in the rice. Stir in the pan to coat, then pour in the wine and stir again. Let the alcohol evaporate from the pan.
3. Remove the porcini mushrooms from the boiling water and chop. Using a ladle, spoon in a ladle full of the mushroom stock water, and gently stir the rice until the liquid has been soaked up, then repeat with another ladle full of liquid.
4. It’s important to continue gently stirring the risotto so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan! Repeat the process of adding liquid and letting the rice soak it up, until all the mushroom stock water has gone. Test the rice; if it’s still a little al dente, you can use boiling water instead of stock, until the rice is tender.
5. Add in the porcini mushrooms and stir. Season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle in the thyme.
6. Remove from the heat and stir through the butter. Grate in some parmesan cheese and stir gently.
7. Serve immediately and enjoy with some gluten free garlic bread.