Gluten Free Lemon Shortbread Recipe
Posted , in Bakes
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and we’re certain that your little ones will want to show just how much they love you, even more than usual! So here is a great gluten free shortbread recipe for you and them to enjoy making together. Go share the love...
- 200g butter, softened
- 350g gluten-free flour
- 125g icing sugar (and extra for dusting)
- 1 small lemon, the grated zest of
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Gluten free icing pens
Top tip: Remove the butter from the fridge about half an hour before you want to use it so it will cool to room temperature. This will really help when it comes to beating it into the flour.
* This recipe is vegetarian
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Grease the back of a piece of baking parchment then stick down onto a baking tray. This will prevent the paper from blowing away in the oven!
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter together with the icing sugar and zest from the lemon until the mixture is light and fluffy. Gently fold in the gluten free flour and baking powder, being careful not to knock the air out of the mixture.
3. Now, lightly dust your work surface with flour. Still in the bowl, use your hands to form the mixture into more of a dough consistency then turn out on to your floured work surface. Roll out to about 1 cm thick, Use a heart shaped biscuit cutter (or really any shape that you fancy!) to cut out the shortbread biscuits. Bunch up the excess dough and roll out again, cut and repeat until you’ve got as many biscuits as possible.
4. Place all of the hearts onto your baking trays and pop in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up, before putting in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Once the biscuits have a golden top, remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack ready to be decorated.
6. Leave the biscuits to totally cool before you decorate them, otherwise the icing will slide off! Using your icing pens, decorate the tops of the biscuits with messages for loved ones!